Charleston Area Parks and Aquariums
Nature lovers and education enthusiasts are sure to enjoy the vast array of parks and aquariums that the Charleston area has to offer. Spend the afternoon enjoying local flora and wildlife at an area park or get up close and personal with marine life at the wildly popular South Carolina Aquarium. Many parks and the aquarium are located just a short drive from Folly Beach, making it easy to enjoy a morning or afternoon on the town.
- The South Carolina Aquarium: The home to over ten thousand plants and animals such as alligators, seahorses, jellyfish, etc.. Dive into the amazing undersea adventures with activities to do for the entire family!
- Open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, daily; (843) 577-3474
- Battery Park/ White Point Gardens: This waterfront spot featuring cannons, gazebos, palmettos, and exquisite views of Fort Sumter and the Sullivan Island Lighthouse, is the perfect spot to stop and kick your feet up after an exhausting day of touring Charleston!
- Open 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, daily; (843) 724-7327
- The Center for Birds of Prey: This non-profit organization, offers an environmental experience and combines medical care for injured birds along with educational and scientific research. Visitors are given the opportunity to experience birds of prey in a natural and rare setting.
- Open Thursday – Saturday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm; (843) 971-7474
- Charles Pinckney National Historic Site: Enjoy exhibits, films, and walking the grounds while discovering the “forgotten father”, Charles Pinckney, who was a principal author and signer of the United States Constitution.
- Open 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, daily; (843) 881-5516
- Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site: Step aboard and tour Charleston’s only 17th century replica sailing ship, see cannons fire, or view the otters, bears, bison, and more at the Animal forest.
- Open 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, daily; (843) 852-4200