Historic Houses & Buildings
The Charleston area, and the downtown area – in particular, is home to a rich history that can easily be seen by the lavish houses scattered throughout the city. Visitors have the opportunity to learn more about the area’s rich history and to explore ancient buildings through self-guided or guided tours. Below are a few of our favorite area historic homes and buildings.
Aiken Rhett House: Take a tour through this very historic house where some of the wealthiest residents of Charleston have resided, along with being named one of the most popular tourist attractions in the area!
- Open Monday – Saturday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sunday, 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm; (843) 723-1159
The Calhoun Mansion: Widely acclaimed as one of the great post Civil War homes, this astonishing mansion will take your breathe away. Being recently featured on A&E’s America Castles show, The Calhoun Mansion is known for it’s Victorian style layout, 35 rooms, wood moldings, 23 period fireplaces, elaborate chandeliers, and more!
- Open 11:00 am to 5:00 pm, daily; (843) 722-8205
The Edmondston-Alston House: Overlooking the Charleston Harbor, this classic museum style home has all of the most perfect features to have an unforgettable effect to your Charleston adventure.
- Open Tuesday – Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:30 pm; Sunday – Monday, 1:00pm – 4:30 pm; (843) 722-7171
The Heyward- Washington house: Here you will see a superb collection of historic Charleston-made furniture including the priceless Holmes Bookcase, considered one of the finest examples of American-made colonial furniture.
- Open Monday – Saturday, 10:00 am -5:00 pm; Sunday, 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm; (843) 722-0354
Joseph Manigault House: Owned and operated by the Charleston Museum and known to be one of Charleston’s most exquisite antebellum structures. The Joseph Manigault House reflects the urban lifestyle of wealthy, rice-planting family.
- Open Monday – Saturday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm; Sunday, 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm; (843) 722-2996
Nathaniel Russell House: Located in Downtown Charleston, this museum is widely recognized as one of America’s most important neoclassical dwellings.
- Open Monday – Saturday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm; Sunday, 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm; (843) 724-8481
Old City Market: Established in the 1790s, the market stretches for four city blocks from the architecturally-significant Market Hall. The heart of historic Charleston, Old City Market provides you with activities day and night!
- Open Monday – Sunday, 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 pm; Evening hours vary seasonally; (843) 937-0920
Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon: One of Charleston’s only public historic buildings since it opened in the 18th century and still remains that way today! Go through a public tour where it highlights what life was like in Charleston during the Colonial and Revolutionary eras!
- Open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, daily; (843) 727-2165