Charleston Area Historic Forts
Charleston’s rich history is still present to this day and can be seen within the various historic forts and monuments scattered throughout the lowcountry. Visitors are welcome to learn more about the history that made our city what it is today by touring one of the many historic monuments listed below.
- Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site: Encounter the remarkably preserved archaeological remains that allow insight into the early history of colonial South Carolina. Here, visitors can watch as archaeologists unearth the settlement’s history.
- Open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, daily, (843) 873-1740
- Fort Moultrie: Located on Sullivan’s Island, the features of 171 years of seacoast defense history starting from the Revolutionary War all the way through World War II can be experienced.
- Open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, daily, (843) 883-3123
- Fort Sumter National Monument: Discover where the American Civil War began and the role Fort Sumter played as a National Park Site from Park Rangers to visitors.
- Call (843) 883-3123 for information on available tour dates and hours.
- Castle Pinckney: Located in the historic Charleston Harbor, Castle Pinckney is one of the oldest castles in the nation that remains intact.
- Call (843) 425-0285 for information on available tour dates and hours.